Friday, December 13, 2013

Baby Booties - a (half-assed) tutorial



It's the present making time of year, and the bump that I made this skirt for is now an adorable little lady. Here Mum insists that she's already got more things for the girl than she'll ever need, but I couldn't resist making a little something.

I was first inspired by Burda's slippers in the december magazine.  I made a late night run to Fabric Planet in Venice and grabbed a small piece of suede and a 1/4 yard of pink furry fabric.  They actually had some very nice soft faux fur, but I thought the low-pile pink would be better for such tiny booties.

I got home realised that the Burda pattern is much much much too big for a baby, what to make?  I can't believe that there aren't more baby ugg tutorials out there, but all I could find was this one on Pinterest, but there was no pattern.  So here's some photo's of my process.  Does anyone know of an easy way to share the pattern?  I'd be happy to, if anyone wants it!

First I cut out the pieces from both the furry stuff, and the suede


Then I added some sticky wonder tape to all of the suede pieces wrong sides and stick them together with the furry pieces.


I did a line of stitching right at the top of the back leg piece and the front leg piece to keep the suede and the fur together.


I sewed the toe and the front leg parts together.


You can see that I used a teflon foot, but still I had to kind of pull the pieces through the machine, because the suede didn't want to slide under the foot nicely


Then I opened out the front pieces and attached the back leg piece.



Now it looks kind of funny, but if you pull out the toe piece, you can see it taking shape



Finally sew on the sole part



Once it was all sewn up I trimmed the seams down a little.  I think if I make them again, I'll do some kind of blanket stitching over the seam allowances, like on real Uggs, but for now, I'm pretty pleased with my efforts!


4 comments:

  1. Awww, how cute. Very cozy looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know there's lots of the fluffy fabric left... we could do a little dying if you don't like the pink!

      Delete

Do leave a comment please - I'd love to hear from you!