Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pattern Notebook: Festive Red Cowl top

Happy thanksgiving guys!


This top makes me feel very festive, but more christmassy than thanksgivingy.  In fact, thanksgiving seems to be a holiday a little thin on things like colour schemes, music, movies etc.  I'm not from the US, so I'm used to having turkey for Christmas, and I don't understand American Football, so I have a hard time getting in to the holiday. 

Having said that, I do like that it's celebrated by the whole country, since it's non-religious and therefore non-divisive.  So hopefully without sounding too trite, I really am very grateful for the sewing community, both the online community, and all the wonderful people I've actually met in real life, after first making contact because of this mad thing called blogging.

So to get down to business: This Top.  This top has been months in the making.  And you might be able to tell... it's still not actually finished.

The fabric is basically the best thing ever.  It's a very finely knit, super soft merino wool jersey from The Fabric Store


 I originally bought it thinking I would make some kind of waterfall cardigan.  I searched and searched for the perfect pattern, but I couldn't find any that would make full advantage of the lovely drape that the fine jersey has.  Finally I concocted a plan to make a dress with a cowl neck and a 3/4 circle skirt.  

I used Burda 06/2013 #101A for the bodice and added sleeves that are some kind of hybrid of the V8379 and Burda 10/2012 #119.  


This top has an integrated facing and separate lining pieces. They were really useful because  I liked the idea of the gathers in the armscye but didn't want them in the rest of the bodice, so I traced the lining piece on to the bodice.


I accidentally used a version of my sleeve that only had 1/4" sleeves, so when I found that they were a little tight I really didn't have much I could do.  As you can see in this picture, sometimes the sleeves pull the top off my shoulders a little.


I knew that the lining pieces were not going to be as long as the original top, but I thought I was going to add a skirt to the top, so I didn't lengthen the bodice.  Unfortunately when I added the skirt to the top, it looked really really unflattering, so I decided to leave it off altogether.  

So now I have a decision - should I add a hem band to the top?  I don't know if it would look right.  But I do think the top is a little short as-is.  I also have to decide what to do with the skirt pieces.  This merino is so lovely, it's a shame to waste an inch of it.

Have a great thanksgiving, everyone!



8 comments:

  1. Great top and thanks for the tip about the Fabric Place - I will check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you should, it's a beautiful fabric store.

      Delete
  2. your top looks fabulous, what about a matching pencil skirt in the same fabric, so you can wear it as a "dress" when you want to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually enough to make a whole other top, so I think that's the way to go, but I'll bet one of their beefier knits would make a great skirt... hmmm...

      Delete
  3. That fabric is lovely! I like the way it looks layered with the tank top for a two-tone/colorblocked thing. So I vote no hem band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this suggestion, and only 70% because it's the absolutely easiest thing to do! haha

      Delete
  4. I am so jealous of that fabric. You are taking me to that store next time I'm in LA.
    I like it with the tank peeking out at the bottom too, though I understand not wanting to have to wear a tank with it... though the tank helps with the falling-off-shoulders problem too. It's a conundrum.
    And as for the cut-out circle skirt, add a foldover waistband to it and wear it as the most. comfortable. skirt. ever. I have made a million of those yoga-waistband-skirts and I love them. It's just a rectangle about 12 inches wide by however tight you want the waistband long, folded in half longwise and serged to the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST get some merino. Custom bike shirts for everyone! And perfect for the mini-winter time that we get in California!

      Delete

Do leave a comment please - I'd love to hear from you!