I'm a bad blogger. I usually groan when other people get all apologisy for not posting, but it was really the height of rudeness to say that I'm giving away bra elastic, and then not post about it again for an age (in blog years).
Well there were few enough commenters that I was able to do the drawing the old fashioned way, and put the names in a bag. It had nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't figure out those random number generators at all, I don't know where you heard that.
And the winners were:
Trena and Laurel! Please let me know (sewmsmccall the-at-symbol gmail full-stop com) if you would like black or white elastic, and where I should send it to.
I had been trying to put off the drawing thinking I would have another awesome bra to show off, but although I did finish another bra, it's only medium awesome, so I'll show it off another day. In the meantime, here are two other finished items to distract you with:
Fabric Used: Super soft 4-way stretch cotton jersey from the Michael Levine loft. There was a big bolt of it, and it's probably still there if you wanna grab some - I'm looking at you Julianne!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The front and the back is all one pattern piece, which requires a very wide fabric. I was going to make it in a different fabric and split the front from the back where the side seams would normally be. It seemed like it would work fine, but I didn't actually need to do that in the end, this neon bring cotton was wide enough.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don't know how they could have been any easier, there are only two pattern pieces, 3 pieces of fabric total!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's simple, casual, I love it!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the finished garment? I haven't finished any of the raw edges. I was thinking about using a folded strip on the front around the neck edge, a bit like View E. I still might depending on how much fabric there's left.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, yes!
Brother 1034D serger for all construction
Differential Feed: 1.6666
Stitch Length: 4
Stitch Width: 5.5
Tensions: Left Needle: 4, Right Needle: 4, Upper Looper: 4.2, Lower Looper: 4.3
Fabric Used: A less-than-a-yard remnant of bird print silk georgette from Mood. It had some damage on the fabric, but the damage is on the back, and mostly in the seam allowance. This seems to be the georgette version of the very same fabric that Ginger gave away, but hers was charmeuse. This fabric was super shifty, and probably caused the project to take 3 times longer, but I love the result, so who cares!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Just the strap thing
Were the instructions easy to follow? Well, it's Burda, so it's very much to the point but I actually quite liked their methods. There are two different methods of applying bias, the neck and the armholes are done differently, so it's quite a good top to learn these on.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's simple and let's the fabric shine.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the finished garment?
Man, is it nice to have a flowy top catching the breeze on these hot days. I wish I had a whole bunch of silk or cotton tops to wear under it to maximize the cooling effect. And you DO need something under this, not only because the fabric is transparent, but also the front slit goes a LOT further than I realised when I was chopping it.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes! I got a double double today!
Machines / settings used:
Ms. Betzina recommends a new 60/8 or 65/9 needle, and I did have to bust out a new 65/9 for this fabric. Otherwise the needle pulled threads on it's way through the fabric.
She recommends machine embroidery thread but I didn't have any, so I used regular poly thread.
She also recommends a single-needle throat plate, I used the featherweight, so check! French seams - check! Rolled hem - Check! She says no topstitching, but I did topstitch the front opening.
Burda's instructions were back to being super sparse for attaching the straps. In any other fabric I might not have cared about a little raw edge, but this fabric frayed like nobody's business, so here's how I dealt with it:
Sew the strap on, right sides together.
Fold the leftover strap over the seam allowance
Baste in place.
The trim off the excess strap
Fold this flap back and topstitch down
You can pull out the basting now. Here's now the right side looked.
Ok, so my topstitching isn't straight but this fabric moves like it's got a mind of it's own!
Hope you're having a neon summer too!